Your smile is an important asset that helps enhance your overall appearance and personality. It can boost confidence to improve your social relationships. However, certain factors or reasons can discolor your teeth. Teeth whitening is an effective way to help overcome stains and discoloration affecting your teeth.
Buffalo Grove, Illinois dentist and their team offer a comprehensive approach to get rid of tooth stains and discoloration through an advanced and innovative method known as the Opalescence teeth whitening system.
What is the Opalescence teeth whitening system?
Opalescence teeth whitening system is an award-winning brand that helps bleach your teeth that are stained or discolored. These systems use a formula that contains potassium nitrate and fluoride. The fluoride reinforces the natural structure of teeth and enhances the dental benefits of the product.
What causes tooth stains and discoloration?
Teeth play an important role in imparting a healthy and beautiful smile. Those pearly whites add a sparkle to your personality. However, this can be greatly affected due to stains and discoloration.
Causes of tooth discoloration include:
- The aging process is when the enamel of the tooth thins out, exposing a slightly yellowish dentin underneath.
- Excess tobacco use in the form of smoking
- Tooth-staining drinks like wine, tea, or coffee
- Tooth-staining foods like berries and curries
- Side effects of certain medications like tetracyclines and antibiotics
- Hormonal changes during puberty, pregnancy, and menopause
How is Opalescence teeth whitening performed?
Teeth whitening usually works by removing discolorations from the outer surface of your teeth enamel. The Opalescence teeth whitening system uses active ingredients like hydrogen peroxide and carbamide peroxide that oxidize the organic matrix of your enamel and dentin, safely breaking down and eliminating stains and discolorations.
Furthermore, this system also uses a patented formula that contains potassium nitrate and fluorides. The fluoride enhances the structural integrity of your teeth.
How to use an Opalescence teeth whitening system?
Opalescence teeth whitening system is available in different forms, but the most preferred one is the customized trays used at home.
- Your dentist will record oral impressions to customize clear plastic trays.
- Once you receive your trays, you will also be provided with the gel used for teeth whitening.
- Brush and floss your teeth before you use the teeth whitening trays.
- Place a thin strip of whitening gel on the tray and place it over your upper and lower arches.
- Wear the trays for at least one hour per day.
- Severe stains may require you to use the trays overnight.
- Clean your trays after each use and store them in the case provided.
Teeth whitening procedures are excellent options to treat mild to moderate stains and tooth discolorations. These are super affordable and can be performed at the convenience of your home.